The Santos Tour Down Under is Australia's premier international cycling race and was staged in and around Adelaide, South Australia from 17 to 24 January 2016.
Media wishing to cover the 2016 Santos Tour Down Under applied for media accreditation via the online form. Organisers of the 2016 Santos Tour Down Under were solely responsible for determining which organisations and individuals received accreditation and what level of access was approved. Only representatives of recognised media outlets were accredited.
The online application period for media accreditation has now closed. Thank you to all media who have lodged an application.
If you have any questions regarding media accreditation or operations only please direct them to:
2016 Santos Tour Down Under Snapshot
- Saturday 16 January - Official Teams Presentation
- Sunday 17 January | People's Choice Classic | Adelaide's East End
- Monday 18 January | Rest Day
- Tuesday 19 January | Hostworks Stage 1 | Prospect to to Lyndoch (131km)
- Wednesday 20 January | Stage 2 | Unley to Stirling (132km)
- Thursday 21 January | Thomas Foods Stage 3 | Glenelg to Campbelltown (139km)
- Friday 22 January | Bupa Stage 4 |Norwood to Victor Harbor (138km)
- Saturday 23 January | BikeExchange Stage 5 | McLaren Vale to Willunga Hill (151km)
- Sunday 24 January | Be Safe Be Seen MAC Stage 6 | Adelaide (90km)
Media accreditation access
Media accreditation will allow access to all areas necessary for media representatives to carry out their work. Some restrictions apply and these will be advised when your application is processed.
A designated media area behind the barriers will be set aside for use by all media at each stage finish and all accredited media will have access to the competitor area after each stage.
All media approved for accreditation at the 2016 Santos Tour Down Under will have access to the Media Centre and to media conferences. Please note, space in the event Media Centre is limited and while access to obtain information and results is available for all accredited media, workspaces might not be available for everyone. The media staff will manage access.
We seek your cooperation in ensuring the accreditation guidelines are respected. The safety of those involved in the race is our prime concern and we are certain all media will be able to complete their work within the guidelines.
A breach of the guidelines or refusal to follow the reasonable direction of the Race Organisers will result in the forfeit of accreditation.
Freelancers seeking media accreditation must provide a 'Letter of Commission' from a recognised media organisation detailing the coverage they have been commissioned to provide before their applications will be considered. The organisers will verify the nature of all commissions and will refuse accreditation to freelance operators without a valid commission. This applies to all freelance media including reporters, photographers and camera or production crew members.
Visiting Foreign Media
International media travelling to Australia to cover the 2016 Santos Tour Down Under must make their own entry and immigration arrangements. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection deals with all applications for entry into Australia. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection website provides further information.
Applying for accreditation
Media accreditation application checklist:
- Complete and submit the online accreditation form by 4 December 2015.
- If you are a freelancer, a letter or email of commission from the commissioning editor must be emailed to Gennie Sheer when you lodge your application.
- Should any changes or cancellations occur after your application has been lodged, please notify us.
- All applications must be completed through the online application system. Media organisations requiring accreditation for more than ten staff members should contact Gennie Sheer to discuss available options for bulk lodgement.
- Please note each applicant must have his or her own unique email address. If you use the same email address for more than one person any information previously entered for the previous applicant will be lost.
Completing the form
- Personal details - The applicant's information should be entered in the relevant spaces.
- Media function/outlet - Please select the appropriate category and type of media organisation.
- General information - Please provide details of necessary additional information.
- Terms and conditions of accreditation - All accreditation applicants must agree to the Terms and Conditions for their accreditation application to be considered.
Confirmation of media accreditation
Applicants will be notified as to whether or not they have been successful in gaining media accreditation by 22 December 2015.
Collecting Media Accreditation
Media Accreditation Passes for approved applicants must be collected in person from the Santos Tour Down Under Media Centre (Hilton Adelaide). Further details on collection will be provided at the time accreditation is confirmed.
Media will be required to organise their own transport with the exception of those media who are assigned places is the 2016 Santos Tour Down Under official media race transport. Space in official media vehicles is limited and the allocation of places is at the sole discretion of the organisers.
Facilities available to accredited media at the Media Centre include:
- Photocopying, printing and faxing
- Wireless Internet access (wired for photographers)
- Official results and race information
- Help desk
Additionally, there will be limited media facilities available at the People's Choice Classic and Media Hubs for Stages 1 to 5. Only the Official Media Centre will operate on Stage 6.
The Media Hubs will provide wireless access, power and race coverage but as space is limited access will be managed by the media team with priority given to media with race coverage deadlines. Also please note the Media Hubs will close approximately one hour after race finish time. Media are encouraged to return to the Media Centre at the Hilton Adelaide.
Media Contacts & Information
Download the 2016 Santos Tour Down Under media kit. It contains detailed information about race routes, the festival, event history, key dates, statistics, the honour roll and more.