BMC start Tirreno Adriatico in lead
08 Mar 18
BMC RACING TEAM has won the opening team time trial of the Tirreno Adriatco, with rider Damiano Caruso leading his teammates across the line to take the leader’s jersey – the Maglia Azzurra - heading into Stage 2 from Camaiore to Follonica.
It was a less than pleasing start for Team Dimension Data’s Manx missile Mark Cavendish, who was ruled out of the race after being hospitalised with facial cuts and sore ribs following a crash.
He crossed the line, but outside the time limit required to continue on.
It’s doubly disappointing for the 32-year-old Cavendish, who was forced to withdraw from the Abu Dhabi Tour – another UCI WorldTour race – after sustaining concussion and whiplash during that event.
Mitchelton-SCOTT – featuring Australians Caleb Ewan, Luke Durbridge, Michael Hepburn, Briton Adam Yates, Kiwi Jack Bauer, Slovak Luka Mezgec and South African Santos Tour Down Under winner Daryl Impey – was four second behind BMC, which features Adelaide-born Rohan Dennis among its contingent, as well as Belgian former World No. 1 Greg Van Avermaet.
Tirreno Adriatico general classification after Stage 1 (Team Time Trial)
General Classification: Damiano Caruso (Italy – BMC Racing Team)
Youth Classification: Fernando Gaviria (Colombia – Quick-Step Floors)
General Classification after Stage 1
- Damiano Caruso (Italy – BMC) 0.22:19
- Rohan Dennis (Australia – BMC) mt
- Patrick Bevin (New Zealand – BMC) mt
- Greg Van Avermaet (Belgium – BMC) mt
- Luke Durbridge (Australia – Mitchelton-Scott) +00:04
- Daryl Impey (South Africa – Mitchelton-Scott) +00:04
- Adam Yates (United Knighton – Mitchelton-Scott) +00:04
- Michael Hepburn (Australia – Mitchelton-Scott) +00:04
- Geraint Thomas (United Kingdom – Team Sky) +00:09
- Jonathan Castroviejo (Spain – Team Sky) ) +00:09
More on tourdownunder.com.au